I was excited when my cohort decided to try something new with our major project. With the original task of creating an electronic portfolio that had strict guidelines and requirements, we set out to modify that tedious assignment into something more personal and definitely more interesting. And thus, the Personal Identity Portfolio (PIP) was born, putting our efforts into showing what we have been learning in the program while also allowing our personalities to shine.
Now, I have never been one to blog, but I am nevertheless ecstatic for the learning experience of writing a blog and the discoveries that are sure to come from creating a space solely dedicated to experiential learning and reflection.
When I started the Higher Education Leadership program, I was told reflection would be a major tool for learning in my time at the University of San Diego (and for every other adventure in my life, right?). Initially, I was encouraged to look at my life experiences leading up to my arrival at USD. I examined my childhood, my college years (go Gauchos!), and all the trials and triumphs along the way. As the year progressed, I reflected upon my learning experience, including: class materials, peer interactions, assistantship experiences both supervising and advising, and my overall adjustment to USD. I found the reflection process to bring a sense of clarity and peace to my busy life.
In my first year, I learned more about patience, the importance of a positive and open mind, and how to better find my balance. Through reflection, I acknowledged my weaknesses and my strengths, shaping goals around areas of improvement and aiming to gather experience in areas still unexplored. Through reflection, I continually adjust my outlook and approach to life, striving to grow as a person, to learn from those around me and to contribute to their learning as well. When the new school year began in September, I felt ready to tackle all the year would throw my way: work, class, action research, job search, and life after graduate school. So far, the year is going well. At times, I fall off balance, either giving too much time to work and not enough to school, or managing work and school while struggling to find "me" time. But, as every person who's ever attended grad school or works in Higher Education in general knows, that's to be expected. What I hope to gain through reflection is not perfection nor answers, but an understanding and ability to truly see my experiences and my actions from an objective and well-rounded scope. Only through a self-aware lens can I grow and continue to learn.

Nice insights on your reflection and growth.
ReplyDeleteA great perspective on what reflection is and what purpose it serves
ReplyDelete