My Personal History
For my higher education history course, I was asked to write about my personal history in higher education. At first I thought that I did not have much to discuss as I went straight from high school to undergrad to graduate school, limiting the number of years in my higher education history. But, as I began to reflect on my story, I realized that the most important part of my "history" cannot be marked by any measure of time, but rather by the impactful moments that led me to the present.
RA
My first taste of Higher Education and Student Affairs was at the University of California Santa Barbara where I joined the Residence Hall Association my first year, planning programs, voting on hall decisions, and building relationships with my peers. I liked my experience and decided to apply to be a Resident Assistant (RA). I served two years as an RA, learning and growing, and finding an energy for campus life. In my role, I was able to connect with various groups on campus, learning about college academic and personal resources, student organizations, and the numerous involvement opportunities at UCSB. I was also fortunate enough to find a mentor who took me under his wing and introduced me to the idea of Higher Education as a possible career. (THANKS TOURGEE!)
NUFP
Tourgee began teaching me about higher education and told me about his undergrad experiences in the NASPA Undergraduate Fellows Program (NUFP).
I was highly interested in the program and Tourgee agreed to be my official mentor. Together, we applied and were selected to participate in NUFP. The program consisted of four elements: on-campus mentorship, regional and annual conference programming, summer internships, and a chance to attend the Summer Leadership Institute. Learning outcomes included:
Through my experiences as a Fellow, I developed a better understanding of student affairs and higher education, finding a true passion for education and working with students.
I will be completing the program in May and can't help but wonder which acronym will follow GA? Perhaps RD (Resident Director) or AA (Academic Advisor) or _ _ (insert acronym here)?
History, is it in the past?
What does my history tell me? For one, it allows me to see some of the milestones that have marked my path into higher education. More importantly though, looking at my past history helps me to realize not only the steps I took but the support and opportunities surrounding me along the way. I would not have been in RHA if my Resident Assistant had not encouraged me to join. I would not have been an RA if I had not found such a great community within my hall. That means that I would not have met Tourgee and probably would not have pursued Higher Education as a profession. My experience has been great because of the people already serving in the field. I was supported and encouraged along the way and the RAs, RDs, AAs, etc. around me are the people who made a difference in my life. That's what drives me and fuels my passion for working with students. So while, yes, history is in the past, it also shapes my future, pushing me and encouraging me to make an impact in the lives of others.
For my higher education history course, I was asked to write about my personal history in higher education. At first I thought that I did not have much to discuss as I went straight from high school to undergrad to graduate school, limiting the number of years in my higher education history. But, as I began to reflect on my story, I realized that the most important part of my "history" cannot be marked by any measure of time, but rather by the impactful moments that led me to the present.
RA
My first taste of Higher Education and Student Affairs was at the University of California Santa Barbara where I joined the Residence Hall Association my first year, planning programs, voting on hall decisions, and building relationships with my peers. I liked my experience and decided to apply to be a Resident Assistant (RA). I served two years as an RA, learning and growing, and finding an energy for campus life. In my role, I was able to connect with various groups on campus, learning about college academic and personal resources, student organizations, and the numerous involvement opportunities at UCSB. I was also fortunate enough to find a mentor who took me under his wing and introduced me to the idea of Higher Education as a possible career. (THANKS TOURGEE!)
NUFP
Tourgee began teaching me about higher education and told me about his undergrad experiences in the NASPA Undergraduate Fellows Program (NUFP).
"The NASPA Undergraduate Fellows program is a semi-structured mentoring program for undergraduate students wishing to explore and better understand the field of student affairs and/or higher education."
| My mentor Tourgee. |
- writing, research, and presentation skills;
- ethical decision making skills;
- cultural competency skills;
- professional networking skills;
- their ability to identify and develop personal, academic, and career goals;
- an awareness and understanding of engaged citizenship and service;
- an understanding about multiple relationships to power and privilege;
- Develop an understanding of the history, mission, and purpose of student affairs and the various institutional types and structures within higher education; and
- an understanding of NASPA's organization and structure.
Through my experiences as a Fellow, I developed a better understanding of student affairs and higher education, finding a true passion for education and working with students.
GA
Entering my senior year of college, I had already decided to pursue a degree in Higher Education. I applied to the University of San Diego and was accepted in its Higher Education Leadership program. I then sought involvement opportunities and applied to be a Graduate Assistant (GA). I was offered a position within Residential Life and currently serve as an Assistant Community Director and Residence Hall Association Advisor. The last year and a half has been a whirlwind, and I am glad to say that I've enjoyed every minute... well almost. I can't say I enjoy 4am duty calls. :)I will be completing the program in May and can't help but wonder which acronym will follow GA? Perhaps RD (Resident Director) or AA (Academic Advisor) or _ _ (insert acronym here)?
History, is it in the past?
What does my history tell me? For one, it allows me to see some of the milestones that have marked my path into higher education. More importantly though, looking at my past history helps me to realize not only the steps I took but the support and opportunities surrounding me along the way. I would not have been in RHA if my Resident Assistant had not encouraged me to join. I would not have been an RA if I had not found such a great community within my hall. That means that I would not have met Tourgee and probably would not have pursued Higher Education as a profession. My experience has been great because of the people already serving in the field. I was supported and encouraged along the way and the RAs, RDs, AAs, etc. around me are the people who made a difference in my life. That's what drives me and fuels my passion for working with students. So while, yes, history is in the past, it also shapes my future, pushing me and encouraging me to make an impact in the lives of others.


No comments:
Post a Comment