LEADERSHIP AND DEVELOPMENTAL THEORIES
EDLD 550, Leadership Theory and Practice, has introduced and clarified the concepts of leadership, authority, and management. In this course, the class is divided into three sections: a large group, a small group of eight, and a return to the large group for a wrap-up discussion. With a free-flowing structure, I was able to examine the effects of authority (or lack of) and the effects of leadership.When applied to my position in Residential Life, I was able to strengthen both my supervisory and advisory skills by understandning the group dynamics around leadership and authority. (1a)
Before entering the Masters program, I did not have much knowledge of development theories. Second semester of my first year I took a course entitled Meaning Making and the Collegiate Experience. Using Student Development in College, I was able to delve deeply into student development theory and applying theory as a practitioner. We studied highly applicable theories including Chickering's Theory of Identity Development and Perry's Theory of Intellectual and Ethical Development. One assignment included an open source project where I chose Hardiman and Jackson's Social Identity Development theory and developed a project that explained the theory in depth and created a space for others to learn about the model. (1h)
As an Assistant Community Director, I am responsible for the students living in the residence halls across campus. My responsibilities include handling roommate conflicts, emergency situations, and ensuring that administrative tasks are completed for the residence hall areas I supervise. In addition, for a set number of days a year, I also perform "duty", where I am the on-call individual for all 2,600 students on campus. With this responsibility, comes the need to problem solve in a quick and efficient manner. The number one priority is student safety and security. Often times, there will be cases of emotionally distressed students who are overwhelmed with the current situation, whether it be alcohol write-up, roommate conflicts, etc. When arriving on scene, I am there to fill a supportive role for these students, making sure they are okay and offering any support services necessary. In times like these, I use basic counseling skills to calm the situation and assess what the best next step would be.
As part of the residence hall supervisor meetings, we discuss case studies that arise from duty. With these, we look at a situation and how it was handled. We examine the bigger aspects behind the problem, and develop adaptive solutions to the problem. Technical fixes are temporary and would cause more problems to arise in time. Having an understanding of an issue, discussing the best options, and putting those options in place ensures the safety of our residents and the success of our Residential Life department. (1d, 1e, 5c)
RESEARCH AND ASSESSMENT
In course EDLD 549, Research Design and Methodology for Leaders, I learned about research and the various methods for conducting research. Planning to conduct Action Research, I began to contemplate what areas of my experience left me with a desire to discover. As Advisor of the Residence Hall Association, I observed the disparity in numbers between female and male members. Across campus, there was a similar issue of having a lack of male representatives in our organizations and serving as campus leaders. What was causing this? I decided to research male involvement and the affects on academics and campus retention. To start the project, I completed a literature review, learning about current male issues in higher education and the affects across the nation. The information gathered provided me with good insight into the phenomenon, and I began to think of possible actions to implement through my organization. (2a)
ORGANIZATIONAL SYSTEMS AND GROUP DYNAMICS
As Advisor of the Residence Hall Association, I aim to provide constructive guidance for its members in their efforts to create a positive living environment for the residents. The Executive Board of seven members serves as a model for the entire organization. When they do not function as a cohesive unit, the organization cannot perform at its optimal level. This year, the Executive Board began to split into two factions as a result of miscommunication and short tempers. As an Advisor, I had to manage the conflict among students. In order to remain unbiased, I first met one on one to gather perspective from each individual and encouraging him or her to take a proactive step in re-bonding the group. When that did not work, I facilitated a group mediation, starting with a quiet time of reflection in which I provided questions for thought, followed with a review of the group's goals and expectations, and finished with a time for them to share thoughts. (3d, 5g)
In effort to educate on issues of social justice, I helped develop and implement diversity education for the two-week Resident Assistant training, educating on issues of race, class, gender, religion, etc. Along with two partners, I created a Power Point presentation explaining the difference between hate crimes and bias-motivated incidents, providing data on incidents that occured at USD, and giving suggestions for how to create an inclusive environment in one's community. The presentation also included a Identity activity where groups of two to four would sit together, giving five minutes for one person to share his/her story about privilege and oppression, using the Identity wheel as a model (race, gender, class, religion, sexual orientation, age, and "other"). This activity provided insight for each person into the life of another, showing that each person has privilege and each person faces oppression, and strengthening the bond across cultures. A resource sheet was also provided, listing campus resources and departments for RAs to utilize: the United Front Multicultural Center, Rainbow Educators, the Women's Center, University Ministry, and more. (3c, 4a)
SKILL DEVELOPMENT AND SELF AWARENESS
Stepping into my role as Assistant Community Director and Residence Hall Association Advisor, I knew there would be much to learn. With my previous positions, I was bringing experience and knowledge to the field, but also was prepared to improve my skills. To provide structure for this learning process, my supervisor gives me weekly feedback on successes as well as areas to improve. In a more formal process, he completes an evaluation of my performance, which we review together and discuss my strengths and weaknesses. I appreciate this feedback and find it to be a crucial tool in my professional development. I also provide feedback to my supervisor on his supervising style, explaining what works for me, what does not, and where improvements could be made. Most of my feedback, however, takes place in my role as Advisor to seven undergraduate students who serve as the Executive Board for the Residence Hall Association. In this role, I am there to support, listen, and guide the students as they develop leadership abilities. I initiated the "Weekly 3" where each of them answers three questions, sending me feedback on their progress and challenges that week. I reply with suggestions and input. There is further feedback in person at our weekly meetings and also in one-on-one meetings. As new student leaders, I am able to provide much constructive feedback and to educate on leadership development, communication styles, etc. (5d)
Stepping into my role as Assistant Community Director and Residence Hall Association Advisor, I knew there would be much to learn. With my previous positions, I was bringing experience and knowledge to the field, but also was prepared to improve my skills. To provide structure for this learning process, my supervisor gives me weekly feedback on successes as well as areas to improve. In a more formal process, he completes an evaluation of my performance, which we review together and discuss my strengths and weaknesses. I appreciate this feedback and find it to be a crucial tool in my professional development. I also provide feedback to my supervisor on his supervising style, explaining what works for me, what does not, and where improvements could be made. Most of my feedback, however, takes place in my role as Advisor to seven undergraduate students who serve as the Executive Board for the Residence Hall Association. In this role, I am there to support, listen, and guide the students as they develop leadership abilities. I initiated the "Weekly 3" where each of them answers three questions, sending me feedback on their progress and challenges that week. I reply with suggestions and input. There is further feedback in person at our weekly meetings and also in one-on-one meetings. As new student leaders, I am able to provide much constructive feedback and to educate on leadership development, communication styles, etc. (5d)
Soon after arriving at USD, I realized that the university did not have an annual Relay for Life. Relay for Life is an American Cancer Society team fundraising event, lasting twenty-four hours full of ceremonies, education, and support for the fight against cancer. I decided to bring Relay for Life to campus, serving as the Event Chair and responsible for the project as a whole. The first steps required coordinating with campus administrators and departments for event approval, including date, time, location, and event activities. Concurrently, I was responsible for finding interested students and mobilizing them to join the Planning Committee. I create an agenda and facilitate planning meetings, and serve as a hub for the group's communication by sending informational updates. (1g, 3a, 5f)
When working in groups, there are often differing personalities and work styles. In one of my courses, I was paired with two other students and assigned an extensive project with a twenty-page paper. In reflecting on group functioning, I spent much time frustrated with another member of my group and our inability to efficiently communicate. My thinking shifted away from frustration to pondering what was different about our communication styles and why was I frustrated. I began to realize that my frustration with the group stemmed from a frustration with myself. I am a direct and action oriented person who likes to think for a limited while and then move along with my task. The other individual was quieter and much less direct. I realized that I would have to adapt my style to the group's needs. I adjusted my perspective to one of patience and tried different approaches. By asking questions and explaining my point more clearer, we were able to operate better. (5a)
Technology is changing the face of academics non-stop. In recent years, technology has bloomed at an unpredictable rate and the applications of technology in education have increased learning. One prevalent use of technology is communication. Through email, texts, cellular calls, and online discussions, individuals are able to communicate from almost anywhere at any time. More specific applications of technology include the challenge of finding a forum for all to work and communicate. In the previous mentioned group work and in other group projects, I utilized technology to create a space for the group to work from any place at any time. Using an online editable document allowed for members to work from anywhere and to communicate ideas and progress for the whole group to see.
Technology was also used for research in these groups. Online article databases and easy access to vast amounts of information, allows for a deeper analysis of concepts and more holistic understanding of topics.
Another effect of technology is the expanded approaches students take in their work. In addition to Power Point presentations, students are making complex videos, creating websites, and drawing outsiders into the virtual classroom. (4g, 5b)


Nice work on this section. I'm glad you were able to incorporate some of your work from your eportfolio. I did notice a few typos, grammatical issues and font issues and you may want to remove the learning outcomes numbers/letters unless you add the context for them elsewhere in the blog.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy that you give examples of your work from an outcome-based approach by highlighting how you are leaving "your mark" at USD. As I've shared before, you have made significant contributions to RHA and the organization has progressed under your leadership. Keep up the great work Jasmine!