Just yesterday, I was sitting inside my partner's living room in Santa Barbara working on the never-ending writing assignments that stand in between me and graduation. 3:00pm strikes the clock and with it, the most soothing sounds in the world. Dozens of little feet hit the concrete as they run to the courtyard for games. Squeals and laughter of youth as the kids play -- they've been sitting in class all day, waiting for their favorite part of life. Knock, knock, KNOCK! The front door shakes with the excitement of the children, "Can we have the red ball please? Please? PLEASE?!" Their faces staring up at me with such earnest, "Yes," I say, "But you have to bring it back, okay? Promise?" "PROMISE!" I close the door to return to my writing, but I feel a longing to go out and play. SLAM! The ball hits the door and the kids are yelling, "Hurry! He's going to score!" I finish the paragraph, put on some shoes, and head outside. "Jasmine! You're going to play with us?!" A boy about 4 years old hits a small red ball over the short metal fence they use as a makeshift volleyball net. I don't know his name because he's new to the complex, but we've already established a bond - names will follow. I hit the ball back and the next fifteen minutes are the most fun I've had in a while.
 |
| The children at the Family Opportunity Center |
Also on the lawn is Vicki, a 17 year old (almost 18!) young woman who I know very well. I first met Vicki when she was 14. Located in the middle of their housing complex is the Family Opportunity Center (FOC). The FOC is an after-school center that offers academic tutoring, mentorship, and a community of friends for the local children. I began volunteering there my junior year at UCSB and was hired as a youth programmer for the city's Housing Authority my senior year. Vicki was a stand out student, not because of her grades, but because of the innate leadership and potential she had. At just 14 years old, I could see, this young girl could accomplish anything she set her mind to. As is the common story among many of her peers, Vicki was not doing well in school because she chose not to. I had been working on starting a CHOICES program - an ongoing weekly program for teenage girls aimed at providing them with education and tools for making positive life decisions. My supervisor did not think Vicki was a good candidate for the program, but I knew, if given the chance, she would excel in the program. Vicki joined and over the next year, we talked about her dreams and aspirations for the future - something some of these children never really think about. For their families, high school graduation in itself is a major accomplishment. While I agreed, I encouraged my students to envision their lives five, ten, twenty years from now. What did they want to be? Vicki, younger sister of two siblings - both parents at a young age, and older sister to two grade school girls, had much pressure on her shoulders. She set her goal though - she wanted to be a probation officer and to work with juveniles.
 |
| Vicki and her sisters. |
It's been almost two years since I moved to San Diego, but in that time we've kept in touch. Vicki turned her grades around from failing most classes to now a GPA of 3.4. She applied to intern at the probation office in Santa Barbara and was selected. She's graduating in June and starting at Santa Barbara Community College the next semester. She just had an interview with the Scholarship Foundation and continues to look for opportunities she can pursue. Her sisters are doing well in school and I'm pretty sure if Vicki stays on track, they'll stay on track, too.
My conversations with Vicki look differently now than they did four years ago. By the passion in her eyes, I can tell she believes in herself now. I can't wait to see where Vicki is five, ten, twenty years from now. I have every confidence she'll accomplish her goals, exceed her own expectations, and be making positive change in the lives of those children she aims to help.
Vicki's story is similar to Fern's story and Jonathan's story. Both of these two young men come from challenging backgrounds: no fathers, rocky relationships with their moms, pressure to join gangs, and the constant effort to beat the stereotypes people so easily assign to them. By the age of 17, Jon had a felony on his record because he got caught spray painting a wall. The police call it graffiti. He calls it art.
 |
| Art by Fern |
Both came to the Family Opportunity Center each week, seeking mentorship and a safe place to stay out of trouble. In the last few years, they have found just that. Both are amazing naturally-talented artists and have used art as a positive outlet. Fern graduated from high school and is enrolled at SB Community College, studying for his degree in art. He spends time volunteering at the FOC and working with the younger kids. Jon graduated high school and is involved in the community, doing stage backgrounds for local theater productions. He and Fern are collaborating to develop an art show case based on the Chicano/Latino experience.
Vicki, Fern, Jon, and the rest of the kids at the FOC are
 |
| Fern at graduation 2010. |
the students with whom I would ideally like to work. Whether it is at the grade school level or college level through outreach and bridge programs, my heart tells me this is the work I'll end up doing. Providing education and opportunities for kids will help make the world a better place. And nothing is as rewarding as connecting with students and watching them grow into amazing individuals, with the world at their fingertips. My ultimate goal is to positively impact as many students as possible. And when I ask, "Where are they now?" I hope the stories sound like the ones above - stories of believing in oneself, following one's dreams, and paying it forward with the next generation to come.
Beautiful and inspirational. Stories like these continue to prove that sometimes all young (and older) people need is someone to believe in them and guide them. You do amazing work, Jasmine.
ReplyDeleteGreat story, and wonderfully written. Ready to read more posts from you! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful story Jasmine. Thank you for your meaningful and impactful work.
ReplyDelete